AirPods are designed to last about 18 months as they start holding less and less of a charge. They can’t be repaired, thrown out or recycled. Instead, the AirPods sit in your drawer forever.
AirPods Are a Tragedy – VICE
We need to rethink the relation between our data and the services that use it.
- The cloud cripples your data. AI needs all your data in one place. On-device instead of cloud. You stay in control.
- Circle of Knowledge – All apps in the same room. Apps in the circle can use each other’s data. Open data types. No more sandbox. On-device AI through federated learning. Apps need to contribute to participate.
- Data Permits – Treat data like money. Encrypted storage through cloud providers. Know what’s at stake when sharing data. On-device as the default allows for detailed permits. Transparency leads to trust and confidence.
- Profile – A map of yourself. Interests. System-wide for apps in the circle. Spatial interface. Evolves to learn our values, habits, desires. Apps know the context. Foundation for understanding beyond impulsive engagement.
- Transparency – Siri as the face of AI. Transparency is most useful in context. Siri should be accountable. Through voice and inline
Source: Rethinking how technology uses our personal data